So here’s something I recently read before nodding off to sleep with a cookbook in hand: whipped coconut cream. Who knew that chilling coconut milk solidifies the cream, separating it from the liquid? And once it’s beaten this cream makes delicious coconut whipped cream? I just assumed the only whipped topping worth having was real whipped cream. But I love to prove myself wrong, and I love it more because I found it while reading a good ol’ fashioned cookbook.
Here’s what I want you to do next time you are at the grocery store, buy a can of coconut milk.
(Hey Tim, since we only talk this week on electronic devices, do you see that I bought a new can opener?!)
Take your can and chill it in the fridge overnight.
The next day or hours later, open the can and drain all of the liquid from the separated cream at the top.
Scoop the remaining cream solids (no liquids!) with a little sugar into a mixer and whisk until it’s as thick as you like. I left mine for about 2 minutes, and I used 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar.
Top some fruit, your latte or hot chocolate, frost a cupcake, or fill something yummy like eclairs and cover with bittersweet ganache as I experimented with for my friend Lucy’s baby shower.
It’s the perfect non-dairy whipped cream and delicious gluten free/dairy free dessert.
Lucy and Baby – Shower Menu
Quiches – Ham & Cheese, Lorraine, Cheese Trio
Greens – Kale and Brussels with Pecorino and Toasted Almonds, Edamame, Asparagus and Mint
Sweets – Baby Eclairs with Coconut Cream and Chocolate Ganache, Orange Cranberry Scones, Fruit & Cheese Board with Fig Jam
Drinks – Mimosas & Coffee
|Whipped Coconut Cream|| |
- 1 can chilled coconut milk, cream solids only, discard the liquid
- 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar, maple syrup, honey, or whatever sweetener you choose
- Open your can of coconut milk and skim off the cream solids or drain them.
- In the bowl of your mixer (preferably a chilled bowl) place your coconut cream solids.
- Add sugar and whisk until the cream is as thick as you like. I let my mixer go for about 2 minutes. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use or serve.
Give it a try and tell me how you used it.
Visit these celebrations for more baby shower ideas and inspiration, including instructions for these onesies we keep coming back too!