- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt and a few good cracks of pepper, more to taste
- 1/2 of the dressing above
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce or 1 bunch of kale sliced into thin strips (about 6–8 cups)
- 1/2 can of garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red pepper diced, 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced in half
- 1/2 bulb of raw fennel, remove fronds, and slice. Chop up the slices into small pieces. (White core removed as you get inside the bulb.)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 cucumber peeled, seeded, and sliced into fourths, then chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- Other delicious options: thinly sliced red onion or scallions, salami or chicken pieces, red cabbage instead of greens, or add some fresh dill.
- Measure olive oil, vinegar, oregano, and garlic in a bowl and whisk until well mixed.
- Add salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Dip a piece of lettuce or veggie into the dressing to taste, and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Use right away or store in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe makes 1/2 cup of dressing.
- Toss lettuce or kale with about half of salad dressing or enough to coat the hearty greens.
- Layer or combine all the ingredients except feta cheese and spread out across the platter in a mound.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on top and serve.
- If prepping this ahead for lunch, layer ingredients in jars or meal prep dishes or keep prepped parts in separate containers. Save dressing for lunchtime drizzling.
- Tip: If you are not eating this salad right away, you can soak your fennel in a bit of water squeezed with lemon juice to keep it from turning brown.