This salad finally happened. It was a necessary follow-up to the fried chicken and home made peach ice cream I made for extra special people this week. Whoa. Time out for salad!
Actually it was more like time out for fried chicken, which is so not our daily dish but definitely worth a little celebratory appearance this week. Having friends over for the first time in our 10 year adult friendship? How in the world has this not happened?? Fried chicken and homemade ice cream it had to be.
But back to the salad show.
I’ve had this orange balsamic dressing standing tall in my refrigerator since Monday, and it’s been patiently waiting for these greens. In our 5 trips to the grocery store in the last 5 days (and a garden outside!) I somehow didn’t have greens? How this happens I’ll never understand.
Today though, I have it all.
Pine nuts toasted.
And a sprinkling of pecorino!
This salad is so simple and light.
The orange juice naturally sweetens and offsets the vinegar (Whole30 approved btw!), and the simplicity of garlic, salt, and pepper gives the perfect bite.
Serve this dressing with tomatoes and ricotta? Yes.
This dressing with spinach, grapes, bacon, and broccoli? Sure.
- 1 large orange zested
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cracked pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of chopped rosemary optional
- Wash and dry your orange. Zest the entire surface.
- Cut your orange in half and squeeze. You should have about 1/2 cup, give or take a little.
- Whisk zest, juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper together in a bowl until combined.
- Slowly add your oil by pouring in a steady stream and whisking vigorously.
- If adding chopped rosemary, whisk in at the very end or sprinkle a few leaves on the salad.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.